This Dirt Pie Recipe is a fun and easy way to enjoy a delicious dessert! Did I mention it’s a no-bake dessert that’s fun for the whole family?
If you have kids or are a kid at heart (like me), you’ll love this recipe for dirt pie. You may remember eating “dirt and worms” in grade school or summer camp. My recipe is a fun take on that childhood classic.
Unless that is, of course, you frequently enjoyed actual dirt and worms as a child. In that case, this is NOT a fun take on YOUR childhood classic.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- a Rolling Pin
- a Mixing Bowl
- 5-6 Individual plastic or glass cups
- 1 container of Oreo Cookies
- 1 box Chocolate pudding mix
- 4 cups of Milk
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Besides being the ultimate comfort food, my favorite thing about this recipe is that it’s completely no-bake. You won’t overheat your house while cooking, and you can whip these up in no time at all!
Equipment-wise, all you need is a rolling pin or some other random heavy object. Using a food processor will def make quick work of your Oreos, but it’s a bit overkill.
Lastly, I love how flexible this recipe is. My 2-year-old’s tastes are changing constantly (and she’s a super demanding 2-year-old). So we can customize this to our liking, depending on her mood.
For example, I prefer using chocolate pudding instead of vanilla pudding. I also use crushed Oreo cookies (the classics) instead of Oreo Golden Sandwich Cookies.
How to Make
If you’re looking for a creative and easy dessert to make, look no further than this recipe. These individual desserts are perfect for any special occasion and will definitely be a hit for kids and adults alike.
Here’s how to make this gummy worm dirt pie recipe.
- 1, 8 oz package of gummy worms
- 1 container of Cool whip
- 1 packet of Instant Chocolate pudding mix
- 3 cups cold milk
- 6-8 Individual plastic or glass cups
- 1 box Oreo cookies (or other chocolate sandwich cookies)
Step-by-Step Assembly Instructions:
Step 1 – Make Pudding: An hour before you plan on assembling your dirt pie cups, begin making your instant pudding. The typical pudding recipe involves combining the pudding mix with milk and stirring until the pudding has thickened. Cover your pudding bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for an hour to set up.
At the same time, place your Cool Whip container on the counter and let it come to room temperature for an hour while the pudding is in the fridge.
Step 2 – Crush Oreos: Next, we’re going to crush our Oreos. The quickest way to do this is to pulse them in a food processor. An alternative method is to place your cookies in a large ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin or heavy pan.
Step 3 – Assembly: To assemble the dirt pudding cups, start by adding a layer of cookies (crushed) to the bottom of each cup. Top with a scoop of pudding, followed by a scoop of cool whip and a layer of gummy worms. Continue layering until all ingredients are used.
Step 4: Lastly, before adding the last layer of crushed Oreo cookies, position your worms, so they look like they’re climbing out of the dirt. Then, add the remaining oreo crumbles.
Substitutions and Variations
You can change up this dirt pie recipe in tons of ways. Here are a few ideas:
- Experiment with different flavors of pudding or pie filling. Chocolate, vanilla, and pistachio are all delicious options.
- Add some color to your dirt pies by using rainbow sprinkles.
- Make a chocolate lover’s dirt pie using a chocolate cookie crust with chocolate cream Oreos and chocolate chips to the pudding layer.
- Try using Bailey’s Irish Cream instead of the milk when making pudding for a more grown-up dessert.
- Use gummy bears or other candy in place of the gummy worms.
- Make a peanut butter pudding dirt pie using peanut butter pudding and Reese’s Pieces.
The possibilities are endless!
Easy Dirt Pie Cups (With Worms!)
- Make Pudding: An hour before you plan on assembling your dirt pie cups, begin making your instant pudding. The typical pudding recipe involves combining the pudding mix with milk and stirring until the pudding has thickened. Cover your pudding bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for an hour to set up.1 container cool whip, 1 packet instant chocolate pudding, 3 cups cold milk
- Crush Oreos: Next, we're going to crush our Oreos. The quickest way to do this is to pulse them in a food processor. An alternative method is to place your cookies in a large ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin or heavy pan.1 box Oreo Cookies
- Assembly: To assemble the dirt pudding cups, start by adding a layer of cookies (crushed) to the bottom of each cup. Top with a scoop of pudding, followed by a scoop of cool whip and a layer of gummy worms. Continue layering until all ingredients are used.
- Add Worms: Before adding the last layer of crushed Oreo cookies, position your worms so they look like they’re climbing out of the dirt. Then, add the remaining oreo crumbles.8 ounces gummie worms
Your Own Notes
The Golden Lamb provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietician.Love it? Pin it! Share on Facebook
Chocolate Dirt Pie FAQs
How long does dirt pie last in the fridge?
This oreo dirt pudding recipe is best enjoyed within a few days of being made. However, it will keep in the fridge for up to one week.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the dirt pie 24 hours in advance. Simply prepare the recipe as directed and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
Can I freeze this recipe?
Yes, you can freeze the dirt pie for up to 3 months. Be sure to thaw it in the fridge overnight before serving.
What other ways can I customize this recipe?
Here are a few ideas:
- Try using different flavors of pudding mix, such as french vanilla pudding or banana.
- Add some chopped nuts to the oreo cookie crust for a crunchy texture.
- Top with fresh fruit instead of whipped topping for a healthier option.
- Sprinkle with cocoa powder or chocolate shavings for an extra decadent touch.
No matter how you customize it, this dirt pie recipe will surely be a hit!
Try These Dessert Cups Today!
If you want some recipe inspiration to make a yummy dessert, look no further than these pudding dirt cups! They will be perfect the next time you are in the mood for something sweet and easy to make.
Your kids will love to help make these with you as well. So be sure to gather all of the ingredients listed above so that you can get started on making this tasty treat!
Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed this recipe 🙂