I’m a bit torn about my decision to post this Burrito Casserole recipe. On the one hand, this is a secret family favorite recipe. But, on the other hand, it’s mouth-wateringly delicious, simple to make, cheap as hell, and is an easy weeknight dinner. So I’ve decided to betray my family by posting this recipe. Revel in my betrayal!
Maybe the most important note I’ll give you in this recipe is NOT to make your own fresh burritos at home. Instead, fight every urge to make your own burritos using large flour tortillas, baked beans, refried beans, beef, etc.
It just doesn’t taste the same when you try to make your own burritos.
Burrito casserole ingredients:
- 8-12 frozen burritos from the grocery store
- 2, 10 oz cans of Enchilada sauce
- 1, 10 oz can of sliced or whole black olives
- 1, 8 oz bag of shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1, 12 oz container of sour cream
- Avocado slices (optional garnish)
Equipment I use:
I use a Le Creuset casserole dish because my wife is a fancy chef. You don’t need to use anything this fancy. A glass baking dish will do just fine.
Step 1: preheat your oven
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
Step 2: place burritos in baking dish
Unwrap the 8 to 12 frozen burritos. The amount of burritos you’ll be able to fit is dependent on what size baking/casserole dish you decide to use.
You might be tempted to place the burritos on their side, facing up, but don’t go this route. The burritos need to lay flat against the bottom of the baking dish to soak up all the enchilada sauce as they bake.
Place the burritos, one by one, into your baking dish, as seen below.
Step 3: smother with enchilada sauce
Open the two cans of enchilada sauce (or one large can) and pour it liberally over your burritos. You can go ham with the enchilada sauce here. If you want to use 3 or even 4 cans, feel free. The goal is to have a creamy burrito casserole rather than a dry one.
Step 4: sprinkle cheese on top
Take one whole bag of shredded Mexican cheese and spread it over the top of the enchilada sauce-soaked burritos until you have a full layer of cheese.
Step 5: add black olives
The black olives are what make this dish for me. The saltiness & brininess is incredible. Take risks with the olives here. You can use green or black olives, sliced or whole, but just make sure they’re pitted. We’ve always used black olives.
Step 6: top with sour cream
Grab your sour cream container and add dollops of sour cream, evenly spread, across the top of the burrito casserole.
*Chef’s Note: If you want to make this a bit fancier, consider creating a spicy, sour cream mixture by mixing sour cream with chili powder or taco seasoning. Use the same container your sour cream is in, and just add the powder of your choice and mix it before dolloping it on the casserole.
Step 7: bake for 30-40 minutes
Place the burrito casserole, uncovered, into the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
Step 8: remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes
You know that feeling you get when you bite into a hot pocket and burn the roof of your mouth? Well, the same goes here. So you need to tread lightly with this burrito casserole and give it some time to cool down.
Once it’s cooled down, using a spatula, portion out….your portion.
While some members of my family try to grab individual burritos, I just cut a square pattern. This is a casserole, after all. My favorite thing about this recipe is how all the flavors compliment each other. It’s an explosion of flavor in your mouth.
Complete Burrito Casserole Recipe:
Easy Burrito Casserole Recipe
- Preheat your oven for 375 degrees F.
- Unwrap the 8 to 12 frozen burritos. The amount of burritos you’ll be able to fit is dependent on what size baking/casserole dish you decide to use.
- Open the two cans of enchilada sauce (or one large can) and pour it liberally over your burritos.
- Take one whole bag of shredded Mexican cheese and spread it over the top of the enchilada sauce-soaked burritos until you have a full layer of cheese.
- Empty the juice from 1, 10 oz can of sliced or whole black olives and then drop the olives onto the casserole.
- Add dollops of sour cream, evenly spread, across the top of the burrito casserole.
- Place the burrito casserole, uncovered, into the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- You need to tread lightly with this burrito casserole and give it some time to cool down.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How can I make this more healthy?
I get it. You care about living a long, fruitful life! With that in mind, consider these alternatives:
- Swap out beef and bean burritos for vegetarian options
- If you decide to add refried beans, use the fat-free kind.
- Add black beans to provide more dietary fiber
- Add vegetables such as avocado, corn, tomato, etc.
- Add low-fat shredded cheese (or skip the cheese altogether)
For a full list of nutrition facts, see the recipe above.
What should I serve with it?
I always have some tortilla chips on hand to help pick up the leftovers that fell off my fork.
Should I make my own burritos?
You can, but the recipe won’t taste the way the good Lord intended. But it will definitely taste healthier and more homemade.
What flavor burritos should I use?
Using a variety of different flavored burritos will make the casserole even more exciting. I prefer burritos with some kind of beef mixture. While I normally choose beef and bean burritos, I’d suggest choosing from the following:
- Breakfast Burritos
- Red Hot Beef Burritos
- Bean & Cheese Burritos
- Beef & Been/Green Chile Burritos
Can I add additional ingredients?
Yes! Upon penalty of death, the only rule you must follow is to use frozen burritos from the grocery store.
Consider using these additional ingredients (as layers) in the casserole:
- Black beans
- Refried beans
- Chili powder (sprinkled in between layers)
- Green chilies
- Finely diced chicken breast (pre-cooked)
- Olive oil (sprinkled as a garnish)
- Green onions (diced and as a garnish)
Add a layer of refried beans on the bottom before placing your burritos for added flavor. You can also sprinkle some taco seasoning on the top of the casserole once you’ve added your sour cream dollops.
Sprinkle some black beans on top of the enchilada sauce before adding the cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese mix.
Liberally soak the top of the casserole with hot sauce if you want an extra kick!
How do I store it?
Once the burrito casserole has cooled off and you’ve had your fill, please place it in the refrigerator. You can freeze it in freezer-safe bags or a container with a freezer-safe lid if you want to freeze it.
Can I eat this for breakfast?
There is no judgment here. Burrito casserole is meant to be enjoyed at all times of the day. So yes, add it to your list of breakfast casseroles!
This beef burrito casserole recipe is one of my favorite things of all time. And while I wouldn’t consider it true Mexican food, it is truly delicious.
Check out my other easy recipes: